Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Enjoying The Summer While it Lasts


Relax people, I left my gloves at home for this one. Bruce Springsteen has a song about what he looks forward to every time summer rolls around. While I’d never disagree with The Boss, I just want to mention that backyard grilling and BBQ come pretty close to the top of my list of things to look forward to once the winter snow finally melts. What can I say, some foods just work better when the sun is shining and the weather is warm.

BBQ Chicken
Summer is flying by too fast this year. I can’t believe it’s the end of July and I haven’t gone to one of my favorite seasonal restaurants – PJ’s BAR-B-Q. Between the music, the car nights and other events they hold, PJ’s has a unique atmosphere, one I sorely miss during the winter. Thankfully they’re taking some steps to keep it open year round.  

Before I knew it I was in Saratoga, sitting down at PJ’s getting my hands dirty with the North Carolina Style Pulled Pork and a hefty rack of ribs. And since I don't mind sharing, I tried some of their BBQ chicken (pictured). I strayed from my usual - rib sandwich on garlic buttered Texas Toast. PJ’s offers an open pit BBQ style, cooking everything over real charcoal.  No offense to fans of Hank’s propane style on “King of the Hill,” but charcoal is more flavorful. PJ’s was awarded the best ribs in Albany for good reason and it’s one of my favorite restaurants around.

2 comments:

  1. Place reminds me a little of a joint nearby - Peeble's BBQ in Auburndale, FL. Been around since teh 50s. They use cast iron pits situated just off the dining area. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good...I haven't been down that way in a while.

    ReplyDelete