Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fresh Market

I try to be as open minded as possible when it comes to food, but something about meeting my friend at a supermarket for lunch sounded a little odd to me. I didn’t get it and I wasn’t too excited about eating nestled in the corner of some tiny cafeteria. I thought to myself – “Great, if I wanted dried out, old pizza reheated for me, I could have found some closer to work.” Weird request or not, when I finally had the food I became a believer. Everything was fresh and surprisingly tasty. It’s been a few years since that trip and I’ve had more than enough time to pull my foot out of my mouth. I was wrong, let’s move on and fast forward to lunchtime yesterday.

I checked out the Fresh Market when it first opened and I’ve been back a few times since for groceries but I never got around to trying their prepared foods. I decided to give them a shot yesterday – I wanted to see if lightning could strike twice. Was the food worth my time? Short answer: yes.

Let me start with the cole slaw – the cranberry cole slaw. It was crunchy, not soggy or overloaded with sauce. The cranberries were a nice touch, they were tangy and added a good contrast to the slaw. The broccoli and cheese potato salad was the highlight of the meal for me – nice and cheesy but the broccoli was MIA. The chicken was cooked just right. It was moist, juicy and tender. The skin wasn’t dried out and it had just enough BBQ sauce for me to taste without being overpowering. The best part was I had plenty to share – they gave me a huge portion of the sides and a lot of chicken. Definitely well worth stopping in.

No comments:

Post a Comment