Monday, March 14, 2011

Snapshot Around Town: Part I

Average Joe likes all types of fare. Suffice to say I’m as content eating a plate full of Gus’ hot dogs on 25th street in Watervliet as I am in the ground level of 677 Prime on Broadway. One thing I’ve grown accustomed to at each stop along the way is managing my expectations. Not sure what I mean? Let me spell it out for you. If I’m headed to Gus’ I’m not expecting the red carpet to be rolled out, which makes it even more special when you encounter a friendly person behind the register. Where this gets particularly frustrating for me is when I feel I’ve managed my expectations correctly yet I am unfulfilled by the staff’s performance. This isn’t to say Average Joe is a service snob by any means, I’m just conscious with a buck like anyone else. In my experience there are several establishments who always slightly exceed my expectations in terms of service, banter, etc. I’ve shared some of them below but Joe wants to know about your experiences too. Who’s always exceeding your expectations? Who’s never met them?
 Counter Service:
 I used to work in Menands a while back—it was painful gainful employment but it wasn’t my kind of thing so I moved on. Before I did a colleague introduced me to a little gem of a place just up 378 in Loudonville that I never would have stumbled upon on my own. The Genoa Importing Company is everything you want in an old neighborhood, specialty grocer sort of way. The hardwood floors, the expansive display case and fresh bread are just some of the amenities that contribute to the authenticity. The fellas behind the counter make you feel like one of the boys. Their friendly demeanor gives Genoa a one of a kind charm and if that wasn’t enough, just wait until you see the sandwich you’re bringing home—let alone taste it. The entire Genoa experience is for those of us that want to be a regular but just never had the time.

1 comment:

  1. Genoa is great. I stop all the time when I am around there for lunch. Great subs and Boars Head deli meats. Plus, you can grab and good antipasto or olives, and an Orangina!

    But, I think Genoa ranks third behind Raggonese on New Scotland and Pellegrino's on upper Central Avenue.

    ReplyDelete